Mold – The Silent Health Risk
Mold is something many people struggle with in their homes. It’s a common pestilence but it’s not one that should be taken lightly. If you suspect you have mold in your home you should check all the suspicious spots and act accordingly. Kill any mold you see immediately if you want to prevent your family from developing mold illness which could be life-threatening.
If you thought mold only looks nasty in your toilet you’re very mistaken. Mold can have a devastating effect on your health as well. And the worst thing about it is that many people are clueless when it comes to mold-illnesses. You may be suffering from it and you’ll be none the wiser.
If you want to keep your family safe and prevent any health complications find the best way to eliminate any signs of mold in your house. Here’s a short guide on how to get rid of mold and how to recognize the symptoms of mold illness.
How to Eliminate Mold in Your House
To keep your house mold-free you need to check any moist spots regularly. The usual suspects are the kitchen and the area around the sink. Then the bathroom, of course, all the corners in the house and around the windows. If you see black spots, you’ve found your target.
You’ve got two options, spray the affected spots with bleach or buy a mold killer and use it on the mold. Spray the spot with the product you choose. Let it soak and kill the mold spores before you try and scrub it away. Use a bristle brush to eliminate the black spots and open your windows to let some air in. The chemicals you’ll use will probably smell quite strong and you don’t want to breath in the vapors. Make sure you buy a protective mask when you’re dealing with mold. You don’t want to ingest it while you’re trying to get rid of it.
Once you’ve done all the steps your house will be mold free. However, make sure you do your weekly checks to make sure new mold doesn’t appear.
Mold Illness and its Symptoms
This disease is actually an inflammation in the body caused by a reaction from the immune system to the mold spores that enter your body. Mold illness falls under the bio-toxin illnesses category called chronic inflammatory response syndrome.
People who live in houses with mold are usually most prone to this condition. Mold usually strikes in dark and humid places and warmer environments. If you live in a basement level apartment there’s a high chance that you’ll be dealing with mold sooner or later. Summer time is when mold usually strikes, so watch out during this warmer, damper season. Also, if your home has been damaged by water you’re at a higher risk of mold illness.
Mold illness manifests through many symptoms but here are some of the most common ones:
- Fatigue and/or weakness
- Chronic cough
- Stiff joints
- Frequent bathroom visits
- Abdominal pain
- Appetite swings
- Unusual skin sensations (rashes, tingling, numbness, itching and so on)
- Blurred vision
- Memory problems
- Mood swings
- Metallic taste
If you notice any of the symptoms above but find it they’re completely sudden and not caused by any other condition visit your doctor immediately. Your doctor will tell you if you suffer from mold illness and the best way to treat it.